• 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
• 1 Small onion (finely chopped)
• 1lb ground beef (at least 10% fat)
• 1lb ground pork (20% fat)
• 2 Large eggs
• 1/2 cup plain yogurt
• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tablespoons Gourmet Warehouse Applewood Smoke Spice Rub
• 2/3 cups Panko or other bread crumbs
• 8 pieces uncooked bacon
• 1 cup ketchup
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Gourment Warehouse Applewood Smoke Spice Rub
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a roasting pan with non stick cooking spray.
2) In a medium pan, cook onions in oil until translucent. Remove onions from pan. In the same pan, combine sauce ingredients until sugar melts and sauce is heated throughout. Remove from heat and set aside
3) Put ground beef and pork in a large bowl, add onions and mix briefly until everything is fairly evenly distributed.
4) In a small bowl combine eggs, yogurt and Worcestershire sauce and Applewood Smoke seasoning. Add to ground meat mixture with bread crumbs. Mix just until combined. Shape into a loaf approximately 2 inches thick on the roasting pan.
5) Apply about 1/4 of the glaze to the top of the loaf. Arrange bacon slices on top, overlapping a bit and tucked under the bottom of the loaf. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until loaf is approximately 150- 155 degrees.
6) Remove loaf from oven, Turn oven to broil (or as high as it will go). Add 1/3 of the remaining glaze to the top of the bacon. Return to oven and broil for 5 minutes, remove when the sauce is bubbly but before it starts to burn.
7) Cover lightly with a tent of aluminum foil and let rest 15 minutes. Cut in thick slices and serve with remaining glaze.